THE WORD FOR THE BLOG IS SCIENTIFICTION

viernes, 17 de noviembre de 2017

The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect, by Roger Williams



I know there could be some mistakes in this review. I'm trying to improve my English, thanks.

(También puedes leer esta reseña en español)

I expected to read this novella long ago, but it seemed too expensive for an ebook. However, encouraged by the good reviews (and a lower price) finally I have decided to buy the story, and I do not regret it.

First of all, I must say that the novella is just correctly written (this is the Roger Williams' first work), however it has an unique sense of wonder which raises very interesing questions.

The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect (1994) is a Singularity novel avant la lettre? Yes. A cyberpunk story? More than less, but the story not deals only about virtual reality; rather, it is a quantum reality.

In a certain perspective this book could be considered a dystopia, but it is known that it is a thin line which separates utopia and dystopia... You know, perfection could be a nightmare... If humanity banish all the wars, beats all the diseases; and so on with famine, discrimination, poverty... And then, what will we do? In this sense Roger Williams' novella remembers me the science fiction classic The Humanoids. Thus, It seems that this story is the great classic by Jack Williamson (written in 1959) translated to the state of the art of science and technology in our XXI Century.

But the book deals with more issues: what do humans do when they do not have limits or laws, when they do not have fears? What if normal people but also criminals could be immortals?

Caroline, the main character (and a great success in this novella), is a strong woman who wants to deal with a reality that she has not chosen and that she considers is a fake universe. How can she survive in this world? She finds her way, of course; but I can not explain it here, so I recommend you to read this story.

Note 1: I must warn that the story contains a lot of sex and violence.
Note 2: My fault, looking for Roger Williams to write this review I found the story online on the author's website: http://localroger.com/prime-intellect/mopiidx.html

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario